Library Papers Show Early Tolerance for Muslim Faith
With more than 55 million items, the Library's Manuscript Division contains the papers of 23 presidents, from George Washington to Calvin Coolidge. In this article, Manuscript Division Chief James Hutson draws upon the papers of Washington, Thomas Jefferson and other primary documents to discuss the relationship of Islam to the new nation.
Trump is arguing that if you're not one of the people he wants to ban, deport or strip of reproductive rights or insurance, he's for you. - LOLGOP
The World Is A Safer Place Without Saddam
- Syria activists say airstrikes on IS-held Raqqa kill 18
- Doctors Without Borders says UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan failed to protect civilians
- With Vladimir Putin heading to China, officials in both countries extoll a blossoming "strategic partnership."
- Eastern Europe needs permanent Nato troops, say ex-US policymakers
If you told me Obama was gonna take your guns away, before you tell me Hillary is going to take your guns, you have to admit you were wrong. - Bill Maher
NRA + $ = GOP Congress
Senate Republicans are expected to bring a bipartisan gun control bill to a vote this week despite opposition to the measure from the National Rifle Association and other conservative groups.
The measure, spearheaded by centrist GOP Sen. Susan Collins (Maine), would block people on two terrorist watchlists from buying guns.
A new poll came out and it claims that 25 percent of voters remain undecided. Apparently, they’re undecided on whether to move to Canada or Mexico.- Conan O'Brien
- Trump’s campaign hired an ad firm called Draper Sterling. Really.
- Trump's campaign cycles $6 million into Trump companies
- Watch Donald Sing the "Green Acres" Theme Song in Overalls
- Evangelical leader says Trump is ‘un-Christian,' endorses Clinton
- Muslim Man Who Reported Orlando Shooter To FBI Rebukes Trump
- Of 28 senators running for re-election, just two of them have less cash on hand than Trump
- GOP measure could keep Tubman off $20 bill
Trump looks terrible for his emotional age. - Sarah Silverman
GOP To Replace LeBron James Image For Convention
The pride of Cleveland, a massive, iconic image of the LeBron James – newly updated to tout the city bringing home the NBA Championship – won't last long, with the Republican National Convention coming to town July 18.
Sources say LeBron James might skip the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. You know Rio is in bad shape when you’d rather spend the summer in Cleveland.- Conan O'Brien
Viva La Escocia!
At least two Mexican flags have popped up near one of Donald Trump’s golf courses in Scotland, a few days before a scheduled visit by the presumptive Republican presidential nominee.
Two residents in Aberdeenshire say they raised the flags "in sign of solidarity with the people of Mexico."
Congrats to Chelsea Clinton, who welcomed her second child over the weekend. After the birth, Bill brought flowers, while Hillary brought a focus group to help name the baby.- Jimmy Fallon
Democrats Hold Sit In!
Rebellious Democrats disrupted the House's legislative work on Wednesday, staging a sit-in on the House floor and refusing to leave until they secured a vote on gun control measures. Exasperated Republicans were forced to recess while cutting off the C-SPAN cameras that showed the protest.
Rock The Voter News
- Clinton Launches Website to Attack Trump's Business Record
- Bernie-backing activists to 'crash' Democratic convention
"He's Mitt Romney but bad at his job." - Hillary Clinton
Rubio Is Giving Florida A Second Chance To Kick Him In The A**
Florida Sen. Marco Rubio will reverse course and run for reelection this year, he announced Wednesday.
We are in the midst of a hell-like heat wave on the West Coast. The temperature hit 112 in Beverly Hills yesterday. That's dangerous. Many residents of Beverly Hills are made of materials that melt at temperatures like that.- Jimmy Kimmel
- Crude Oil 48.95
- 11 million Americans spend half their income on rent
- Federal judge strikes down Obama admin's fracking regulation
- Justice Alito Sells Exxon Stock After Almost Decade of Recusals
Sneaky GOP Fails
The U.S. Senate on Wednesday voted down a Republican-backed proposal to expand the Federal Bureau of Investigation's secretive surveillance powers after the mass shooting at an Orlando gay nightclub last week.
This was a little controversial: Pope Francis recently said that the majority of modern Catholic marriages are worthless because couples don’t always mean it when they say they’ll love each other forever. And that’s the last time Pope Francis was ever asked to give a best man speech.- Jimmy Fallon